Thursday, January 26, 2012

Siren's Call - altered style

My friend Danni did an absolutely amazing tutorial on masking on the SCACD store blog - Follow Your Heart.  You really should check it out.  I was inspired by her to do a bit of masking of my own.

I am one of those people who has more than one project going at a time.  I know, you are all shocked, but it is just how I am.  A couple of those projects are altered books.  There are a couple because I have more than one theme going right now.  One of them is mermaid themed.  Siren's Call by Carmen Medlin exclusively for SCACD is an absolutely beautiful mermaid and what I used for this project.

I decided that for what I was doing, I did not want to stamp the cattails portion of the image.  I did a bit of reverse masking to pull this off.
You can do this two different ways.  1- ink up the image and then place tape over the section you don't want to stamp (what I did this time).  2- place tape of the section you don't want to stamp, ink up the image and remove the tape before you stamp.  BOTH work and I use both, it just depends on the area I don't want to show when stamping which way I decide is easiest.  If I have to piece together the tape (like this time) I will usually do the first one so it doesn't come off while I am inking up the image.

I then stamped the image on my book page.   The next step is to create the standard mask to use.  I stamped the full image on Eclipse Tape.  This is kind of like a post it note with it all being the sticky part.
I then cut out the image and placed over the one I had already stamped on the page.  As you can see, I didn't worry about the reverse masking when I stamped it here because I just cut the cattails away.

Once the mask was in place, I inked all around the image to create my scene.  I also spritzed some water on it without any problems.

When everything was dry, I removed my mask and completed the page.  I DID use just the face portion from the mask and glue it permanently on the image so that none of the words from the book page interfered with her face.

Some color, some, ok a LOT, of Stickles and a word.  Here she is.  Siren's Call, all ready to be looked at, loved and admired.

Now it is your turn!

Get Inky!
Alex

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Wowzers Alex! This is pure awesomeness! Love the colors and how the text shows through ~ very cool project. :)

Susan said...

Alex, this is soooo very pretty!!!!!

(I still haven't forgotten to respond to your email I will...probably over the weekend)

come visit my 2nd blogoversary celebration and huge giveaway. please help spread the word also!
http://piecesoffatesusan.blogspot.com/

I hope you and yours are doing well!
After this I hope to start being able to visit more of my bloggy friends more often.
Blessings,
Susan