Thursday, November 11, 2010

TIOT in a box

For the TIOT this week we were challenged to make a favor or gift box or a type we had not made before.  Well, that left me in a bit of a bind because anything simple I have already done once, or twice and I did not feel like doing anything difficult and requiring math.  I went looking and found this popcorn box template.  The second I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do and got busy.  Even better, when I finished, it looked just like it had in my head.  That rarely happens and I am so pleased with this project.



After printing our and cutting around the template I cut some patterned paper from the After 5 Kaisercraft paper pad. This pad is yummylicious!  You must have it, MUST!

I grabbed my Viva Decor Precious Metal Paint in silver and sponged it around the edges of the box and the papers.  I will admit that I actually purchased this paint hesitantly.  I just couldn't imagine that it could be any different/better that anything else I might find.  Since I didn't currently have any metal paint, and wanted some silver for an altered book I am working on I decided to 'give it a go'.  I will tell you, this paint IS different.  It covers with a very thin coat and goes on like a DREAM!  I used a sponge, not a brush and I bet even if you picked it up and stared at it you couldn't tell.  Because it covers so well, it also doesn't take long to dry, but washes right up if (ok when for me) you make a mess.  It also came right off my hands with soap and water!

While that was drying I stamped and colored four of the peony flower images from the new Carmen Medlin  Reflections #1 stamp sheet exclusively from SCACD.  This image and a wonderful butterfly are bonus images that you only get when purchasing a full sheet.  Why you wouldn't purchase the full sheet is beyond me, but it is nice to have a bit extra for doing so.  After coloring I cut them out and a mat in black with my Nesties.  I edged the images with a bit more of the Viva Decor Precious Metal Paint.  (Did I mention this stuff ROCKS!)

I put everything all together, wrapped a felt flower ribbon in black around the top and bottom and accented it all with a Petaloo Chantilly flower in red/burgany.  Then I just sat backed and looked at it for a bit.  I love when a plan comes together.

Be certain you check out what the rest of the design team has done with this challenge at Follow Your Heart.  Each of them always amazes me with their creativity!

Challenges:
Creative Cottage #27 - For someone special at Christmas
Inktegrity #22 - Ribbon and flowers
Bunny Zoe #6- Christmas but not a card

Get Inky!
Alex

4 comments:

Danni said...

Wow!! This is stunning!

Marlene said...

This is just beautiful, Alex!

Anita Bownds said...

wow wicked project Alex,the colours are fantastic...hugs Anita

Berry said...

This is lovely thanks for joining us at the creative cottage this time hugs Rebekah xx